Monday 31 March 2014

Powerful PSAs

Bullying, obesity, poverty, disability.  These are some of the social issues we've been studying in class.  Well, it's time to make our learning come to life with powerful PSAs.  A PSA is like a commercial for an idea.  Concerned individuals and groups create them to spread awareness.  Through their strong images and powerful words, they often make such an impact on the viewers, that they change their behaviors and actions as a result.

Check out some of these powerful PSAs:










Obesity:  The Silent Killer 
by Mr. Riley



There is a silent killer lurking in our cities and neighborhoods.  It attacks the young, the old, the rich and the poor.  It has no limits, and it can strike at any time.  It is obesity, the condition of having too much body fat.


Obesity is a major social issue.  1 in 3 children in California are obese, and their future doesn’t look good.  77% of them will grow up to become obese adults, and they’ll be more likely to suffer from diabetes, hypertension, strokes, and cancer take over.  Obesity doesn’t only affect those who are overweight, it affects us all since treating it raises all of our health care costs.


For my PSA, I wanted my viewer to be scared.  I chose to use a scary theme with music and words to match.  I made obesity a silent killer that enters a neighborhood and attacks inactive children. I chose text (ex. “but now it’s too late”) and images (ex. children running) that are suspenseful, and my last image of a hand reaching out and the children dying will leave an impact on my viewer.

I participated in creating this PSA by filming, editing, and directing the children.  I also wrote and typed in the text for the PSA.  I feel that I achieved the goal of my PSA and that my viewers will become more active to avoid becoming obese.




No comments:

Post a Comment